My version of this rich tasty rustic French stew ! I love this , it was a staple back in my veggie days. I made it for the first time in months last week and thought its time to share!
It’s perfect as a side dish with some meat or topped with fried or poached eggs or even with some crusty bread! Its healthy and nutrient packed with lots of veggies! It took me 3 days and 5 meals to get through this pot of stew! Perfect meal prep side .
- 2 x onions
- 2 aubergines
- 2 courgettes
- Olive oil
- 25 grams fresh basil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 4-5 large mushrooms ( flat cap /Portobello ..I used the big tesco wonky mushrooms)
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 2 pepper ( red or yellow)
- Dried thyme
- 2 x Bay leaves
- 1 x tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic
- Salt and Pepper
- With this dish its best to chop all your veg in advance ! Makes the process easier . Chop them all chunky inch pieces approx is fine including the tomatoes ( de seed peppers and take the core from the tomatoes)
- Pick the basil leaves from their stalks and finely chop the stalks
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot add your aubergine , courgette and peppers and fry them for 5 minutes or until lightly softened and browned . Remove them from the pan and pop into a bowl and keep to the side
- To the same pan add your onion , finely chopped basil stalks and chopped garlic fry lightly then add a tablespoon of dried thyme. Fry for 10 minutes
- Now add a tablespoon more oil and then put all your pre cooked veggies back in then stir in your fresh and tinned tomatoes.
- Add next your balsamic and a good pinch of salt and pepper
- Give the mix a good stir and mash the tomatoes around a bit .
- Turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 30 minutes at this point tear in all our fresh basil leaves and cook for 5 more minutes. Rest it for 10 minutes then serve!!!