Tried and tested this festive season with my family! Gluten free, refined sugar free and vegetarian. This is a pretty darn healthy version of this popular cake 🙂
Great with or without the cream cheese topping and there are tons of options online for dairy free/paleo icing if that is your preference. I just kept it super simple with full fat cream cheese with a tablespoon of maple and a teaspoon of vanilla essence. I then popped on some pecans I roasted in the oven with a tsp of maple and tsp of coconut oil. This is not overly sweet which is to my taste but for some a sweeter icing would be preferred .
The important bit is the base; I wanted a cake that was simple with easily accessible ingredients that tasted like a proper yummy carrot cake. I’m really happy with the result and hope you all like it too! If you want to remove the maple the cake would still work and there is a natural sweetness from the carrot but I personally like the little maple addition!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 x tablespoon maple
- 2 cups of grated carrot
- Pre heat your oven to 190
- Grate all your carrot
- Whisk up all your wet ingredients
- Mix your dry ingredients all together before you add them to the wet ingredients (Include carrot in wet).
- Combine ingredients evenly and thoroughly
- Grease up your tin I used a round spring form tin approx 9 inches in diameter. I greased it with coconut oil.
- Pour in your mix and press it evenly into the tin
- Bake at 190 for 30 mins then reduce the heat to 170 for a further 30 mins. Keep an eye on it that it doesn’t over cook as its oven dependent (use the toothpick trick if it comes out clean its cooked!)
If you are to ice it let it cool first and then get piping or spreading 🙂
MACROS BASED ON JUST THE CAKE WITHOUT ICING 12 PORTIONS PER CAKE
Calories : 158
Fat : 10 g
Carbs : 12g
Protein: 6 g