Mmm mmm Macaroons
Light, sweet coconutty and gluten free and Paleo!
This makes about 18-20
- 6 egg whites (I use bottled egg whites as they are handy to keep in the fridge as a backup protein as well as for baking , you can get organic and free range egg whites bottled in Fresh supermarket or Bulkpowders.ie)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup of organic honey (I used amazing honey from Clonmel but good quality organic honey will make a taste difference)
- 3 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon of organic Vanilla essence
- ½ large bar of Green and blacks 85 %
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Pre heat your oven to 180
- Whisk together the egg whites and salt ,you want it to form stiff peaks ( will take 6-10 mins by hand , Argos do a value electric whisk for €7.49 which I bought after making these by hand a few times , saves a lot of time and whisking J )
- Add in the honey and vanilla and continue to whisk it all through evenly (can whisk this by hand or on a low setting )
- Now fold in the desiccated coconut, one cup at a time and make sure it’s evenly mixed through
- Line a baking tray with parchment/baking paper
- Drop heaped tablespoons of mix onto the paper to get fairly even macaroons, Pat them into shape with your fingers, little mounds of sweet deliciousness!
- Bake for approx 15/16 mins or until lightly golden brown
- Let them cool off for 10 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely or on a plate will do if wire rack not available
- Mix your chocolate and coconut oil either microwave it to melt together or I melt it up in a bowl over hot water.
- Drizzle it over your macaroons as desired or not as they are tasty either way!
Perfect treat or handmade gift J
Macros per macaroon (with chocolate topping):
Protein: 2.9 grams